Friday, January 5, 2007

School Days

School Days by Robert Parker

Started 1/2
Completed 1/5

I love me some Spencer novels. This was something like a snack however, not a meal. One of the things I love most about Spenser novels are his interactions with his compatriot Hawk and Susan Silverman his "inamorata", yet sadly they were both absent from this one.

Spenser is hired by a grandmother to investigate a shooting at a private high school. Her grandson has confessed to the crime but she refuses to believe he could have committed such a heinous act. Spenser of course sticks his nose in places he doesn't belong, knocks down doors, flirts with the ladies and generally pisses a lot of people off.

Things of course are not all they seem but even the biggest twist of the book feels like it was tossed in for shock value. It was interesting to see a character like Spenser trying to make sense of something that happens with a disturbingly increasing frequency in this country, but even Spenser can't really make sense of senseless murder.

I don't mean to imply that I didn't enjoy School Days. I always love spending time with Spenser, whether or not Hawk or Susan are with him. Robert Parker is one of my favorite storytellers and even his weak stories never fail to entertain.

No comments: